Top Things That Are Poisonous to Pets

pet poison


Some foods that might be good for humans can be dangerous for your pets. The same goes for other household objects, such as plants and medications. It is always a good idea to keep chemicals and medications away from your pets. Before feeding them any food that isn’t designed for pets, you should consult your veterinarian.


Medications

A medication can save a human’s life, but not so for your pets. Even a seemingly tiny dose can cause some major problems for your pet. A common poisonous medication is a prescription anti-inflammatory pain reliever. This can cause intestinal ulcers or stomach problems. It might also cause the kidneys to fail.

An antidepressant can cause your pet to vomit. It may even cause serotonin syndrome. This is a dangerous condition that causes an elevated temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate. In some cases, it can also cause seizures. You should also take care to keep blood pressure medications away from your pet.


Human Food

Your cat or dog may look cute begging for food when you sit down at the dinner table. But avoiding feeding him can prevent many health problems. Your pets have different metabolisms than you do. Foods that are perfectly safe for you, such as garlic or onions, can be dangerous or even fatal for your pets.

Alcohol is one thing to avoid giving your pet. The symptoms of alcohol poisoning can include breathing problems, vomiting, or death. These are similar to the symptoms of alcohol poisoning in people.

Avocados are healthy for people, but they contain a substance known as persin. This is unhealthy for dogs and can cause diarrhea and vomiting. You should also avoid giving macadamia nuts to your dogs. These can cause your pets to suffer from weakness, vomiting, and overheating.

All pets should stay away from raisins and grapes. These can cause kidney failure for your pet. Even just the smallest amount can begin to cause severe problems.

Xylitol is a sweetener that you should keep away from your dog. This is found in sugar-free candy and gum. The problem with this substance is that it causes the blood sugar to drop quickly. This causes seizures and weakness. It can even cause liver failure. You will also want to keep nuts, seeds, mushrooms, and tomatoes away from your cats and dogs.


Chocolate

This substance is not harmful to humans, but it contains methylxanthines, which can cause vomiting in your pets. If it is ingested in larger quantities, it can even cause death. Dark chocolate is even more dangerous for your pets than white chocolate or milk chocolate. Coffee also has these chemicals.

​​​​​​​

There are many different poisons that you should keep away from your pet. This can help them to remain safe and healthy. If you have questions about other poisons, arranging an appointment with us is the best way to get your questions answered. To learn more about pet poisons, please contact our expert team at Bridge Park Animal Hospital in Johns Creek, GA.